N26 is a bank established in Berlin in 2013. It is one of the oldest digital bank. If you live in Europe and want to shift from regular banking to banking on tips, N26 is the way to go.
Account opening fee:
It does not call any account fee or maintenance fee.
Getting an N26 card is free, it doesn’t even charge for delivery.
Transfer to your own account is free, whereas international transfer fee is €0.5-3.0
Currency Exchange Fees
N26 charges a currency exchange fee for international transfers. This will vary between 0.35-2.00% of the exchanged amount, depending on the currency.
Withdrawing money in the same currency is free of cost, whereas withdrawing money in different currency will cost 1.7% of the total money.
Account Opening at N26 is super easy and fully digital. It takes only a couple of minutes to open an account and your physical card will be delivered in some days.
N26 is available in 22 countries. The only currency it has is EURO. You can top up your account with EUR.
It provides its card in co-branding with Mastercard.
N26 Premium Account
N26 holds two types of premium accounts.
- You (€9.90 per month)
- Metal (€16.90 per month)
In a metal account the usual plastic card is converted to a metallic card. And with both the premium account, you can withdraw any currency for free. They also come with an insurance package.
N26 Banking Features
N26 offers a range of features similar to your high street bank:
- You can see your spending categorized by the type of transaction (e.g. shopping, restaurants).
- Can also send money to other N26 users instantly and for free. You can also send a money request to another user.
- These savings can also be stored separately for easier overview and management.
- You can earn interest after your savings.
- Setting up or canceling direct debits is quick and easy.
- Overdrafts are possible in AT and DE.
- You can set up Apple Pay or Google Pay.
- 3D Secure online payments are supported.
In other aspects, however, it lacks some features that are common for its competitors:
- You cannot set monthly budgets.
- Smart savings are also not available, for example you cannot round up the amounts you actually spend and store the difference as savings.
- Joint accounts are not available.
N26 Additional Feature
Along with deposition and withdrawal feature, it also offers few other banking feature that are;
- Personal Loan
- Phone Insurance
- Travel Insurance
Chime Bank Review
N26 Customer Service
N26 has only live chat as customer service. That too very slow, it took almost 1 hour to revert back with an answer.
How to request a refund for a direct debit?
You have the ability to request a SEPA direct debit refund in the app yourself up to 8 weeks after it has been debited.
Am I liable to tax in the United States?
As a licensed bank we’re required to report directly to the IRS information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers according to FATCA, a legislation designed by the US Department of Treasury and the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to encourage better tax compliance by preventing U.S. Persons from using foreign banks and other financial organizations in order to avoid U.S. taxation on their income and assets.
How to open my N26 account?
You can open an account in the app (on your smartphone) or in N26 for Web if you:
- are at least 18 years old
- are a resident of a supported country
- own a compatible smartphone
- hold a supported ID (eligibility depends on whether you live in Germany, in Italy, or elsewhere in Greater Europe)
- don’t already have an account with us
- are able to verify yourself in one of our supported languages: English, German, Spanish, Italian, or French.
Which foreign exchange rate will I get?
When you use your N26 card to place transactions in foreign currencies, Mastercard’s exchange rates will be applied to the full purchase amount.
Good news: N26 doesn’t charge any extra fees for foreign transactions!
You can check Mastercard’s rates here: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html.
You can check the exchange rate and currency markup rate applied to a past transaction on N26 app and website via transaction details on the feed.